Personal Training for Individuals & Groups

THE SMART WAY TO TOTAL HEALTH

Blog


view:  full / summary

4 Exercise Myths That Won't Go Away

Posted by Eva on May 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM Comments comments (0)

A very dear client of mine (She is over 45 and looks fabulous!) recently started gaining weight…

We have been working together for over a year. Durung this time she reduced her body-fat from from 29% to 24% and dropped about 2 sizes.

I contribute her recent weight (and body-fat) gain to the stress and overall lifestyle change (including not having time for personal training) of getting a new job; she has also fallen back to her old patterns of “cardio-only” and she doesn’t want to do weights because "that will make her bulky".

We have reviewed her measurement records and programs. She realizes the success she had, and she will pick up the dumbbells again.

The following article is from American Council on Exercise: 4 Exercise Myths That Won’t Go Away

by Beth Shepard, M.S., ACE-CPT, ACSM-RCEP, Wellcoaches Certified Wellness Coach

References

  • ACE Personal Trainer Manual, 4th Edition, American Council on Exercise, 2010, pp. 380-386
  • Beckett J,et.al., Effects of Static Stretching on Repeated Sprint and Change of Direction Performance, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 41(2):444-450, February 2009
  • Nieman D, You Asked For It, ACSM'S Health & Fitness Journal: July/August 2008 – Vol. 12/No. 4
  • Westcott W, ACSM Strength Training Guidelines – Role in Body Composition and Health Enhancement, ACSM’s Health & Fitness Journal, July/August 2009 - Vol. 13/No.4, 


 

 

Want to Lose Weight? Get Some Sleep!

Posted by Eva on May 3, 2011 at 7:10 PM Comments comments (0)

During the first meeting with my clients I always ask, “How many hours do you sleep at night?”

After the surprised look ('why do you need to know that?') I often get the response: “I like to stay up late because that’s when: the kids are sleeping and I can go online or read or watch a movie or finish household chores or work on projects for work or… or… or…; I usually sleep about 5-6 hours a night maximum and that is enough for me…”

Researchers at the University of California, San Francisco discovered that some people have a gene that enables them to do well on 6 hours of sleep a night. But the gene is very rare, appearing in less than 3% of the population. For the other 97% of us, six hours doesn’t come close to cutting it. (Adapted from Your Guide to Healthy Sleep (PDF) - The National Institutes of Health)

Furthermore, the problem isn’t only that you will feel tired but also through hormonal changes you will more likely gain weight: “Studies show the lack of sleep can lead to weight gain -- and getting enough can help you lose.”

Check out the following article:

Weight Loss and Sleep from OnHealth
www.medicinenet.com

 


Rss_feed